Manager Training Index
From opening a register shift to ending the day, everything for managers to get started is here in one convenient place. In addition, managers can also perform cashier functions.
Please note that the Lightspeed Retail POS does not offer an in-app training mode. This index is your complete guide to learning about manager functions on the register. For help training managers on BackOffice features, use the Setup Checklist or visit our BackOffice support page for links to articles about BackOffice features.
Table of Contents
Start Your Day
- Start your day by clocking in and opening a register shift so cashiers can ring up sales.
- Get acquainted with the iPad.
- Learn about the Transactions section of the Main Menu.
- Run Sales and Returns.
- Make items unavailable or available for sale.
- Depending on your settings, manager approval may be needed to apply Discounts.
- Manager approval is required by default to void Saved Sales.
- Set up a Table Layout.
- Learn about the Cash Management section of the Main Menu.
- Run Register Shift Reports for employees.
- Learn about X and Z Reports.
- Open the Cash Drawer with a No Sale.
- Add or remove money from the till with Pay Ins and Payouts.
- Pay out credit and gift card Gratuity to employees.
- Learn about the Setup section of the Main Menu.
- Create and manage inventory items from the Item List (employees with BackOffice permissions only).
- Set up and edit Item Shortcuts to create onscreen buttons for quickly ringing up items (employees with BackOffice permissions only).
- Set up a Credit Card Reader.
- Connect an Ethernet or Bluetooth receipt printer.
- Set up a Ticket Printer.
- Manage receipt and tip settings (Business Owner only).
This feature is only available to the Business Owner of Lightspeed Retail accounts created on or after July 23, 2019.
- Get Updates from BackOffice to sync the register with BackOffice.
- Learn about the Support section of the Main Menu.
- Learn to read the System Diagnostics Screen.
- Check if Saved Sales Sync or ticket printing for Lightspeed eCom (E) online ordering is enabled in ‘Register Settings’.
- See which registers are connected via Serverless Sync™ on the Register List.
- Deactivate a register.
- Access other Lightspeed Retail apps, such as Lightspeed Pocket, from the Main Menu.
- Connect a Bluetooth Barcode Scanner.
- Customize the Retail POS (S-Series) app from your iPad’s Settings.
End Your Day
- End your day by printing a register shift report, closing the register shift, and clocking out.
- If you have questions about using the register, view all of our Register articles or check our Register FAQ.
- Visit one of our troubleshooting guides for help solving common register issues.