Best Practices for ShopKeep Apps
The point of sale system is one of the most important parts of a business. Keep the ShopKeep Register, ShopKeep Pocket for iOS & Android, and ShopKeep Pay for iOS apps running efficiently by updating each as needed and following our best practices below.
Table of Contents
ShopKeep Register App
ShopKeep delivers new features, bug fixes, and more reliable performance with each update to our Register app. For the best possible experience, follow our guide to update your ShopKeep Register whenever a new version is released.
If you need help downloading ShopKeep, visit our Introduction to the iPad article.
Supported Register Versions
Never delete the app unless asked by a Customer Care Advisor. You run the risk of permanently deleting register data by deleting the app or without properly deactivating your register.
Check iOS Register App Version
- In the ShopKeep Register app, open the Main Menu.
- Scroll to and tap ‘System Diagnostics’.
- Look for the current register version listed beside ‘ShopKeep Register Version’.
Visit our System Diagnostics article to learn about the other information available in this section.
Check Android Register App Version
- In the ShopKeep Register app, open the sign in screen or register menu and look for the register version in the bottom right corner.
ShopKeep Pocket App
As with the ShopKeep register app, it’s best to update ShopKeep Pocket when a new version is released to ensure that you receive the newest features and most reliable app performance.
If you need help downloading ShopKeep Pocket, visit our ShopKeep Pocket for iOS & Android article.
Supported Pocket Versions
Check Pocket Version
- In the ShopKeep Pocket app, tap ‘More’.
- The current Pocket version is displayed in the upper right corner.
ShopKeep Pay App
Update the ShopKeep Pay app when a new version is released to ensure that you receive the newest features and most reliable app performance.
Supported ShopKeep Pay Versions
Check ShopKeep Pay Version
- In the ShopKeep Pay app, open the Main Menu.
- Tap ‘System Diagnostics’.
- Look for the current app version listed beside ‘ShopKeep Register Version’.
iPad and iOS
ShopKeep builds for the future by utilizing the newest iPad hardware and iOS software updates. To keep your ShopKeep Register running smoothly, follow the additional recommendations below.
Supported Models / iOS Versions
Having problems with your iPad? Visit this page for links to Apple support and troubleshooting guides that deal with issues affecting your iPad and its settings.
Check iPad Model / iOS Version
- Remove the iPad from its stand or enclosure.
- Check the back for a 5 character model number beginning with the letter 'A'.
- Look up 'your' model number on Apple's support site.
- Open 'Settings'.
- Tap 'General'.
- Tap 'About'.
- The current iOS version is listed beside ‘Version’.
Recommended iPad Settings
For the iOS ShopKeep Register App to run most effectively, configure the following iPad settings in the Settings App.
Disable Automatic Updates to keep the iPad from automatically installing app updates. This puts you in control of when to update ShopKeep which ensures minimal disruption to your business day.
- Scroll down and tap 'iTunes & App Store'.
- Toggle 'Updates' off.
Auto-Lock puts the iPad to sleep after a preset amount of time. Set Auto-Lock to ‘Never’ so the register screen remains on and active during transaction.
- Tap 'Display & Brightness'.
- Tap 'Auto-Lock'.
- Select 'Never'.
Ask to Join Networks
This setting prevents the iPad from disconnecting from your Wi-Fi and automatically joining other nearby networks. If the iPad leaves the business’s Wi-Fi, it can no longer communicate with ethernet printers, credit card readers, or other registers on that network.
- Tap 'Wi-Fi'.
- At the bottom, toggle 'Ask to Join Networks' on.
If your iPad does happen to connect to an outside network, try forgetting that network.
Android Tablets and OS
ShopKeep builds for the future by utilizing the newest hardware and Android software updates. To keep your ShopKeep Register running smoothly, follow the additional recommendations below.
Supported Models / Android Versions
Check Android Version
The steps below show how to check the Android version on our supported Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) tablet, but steps for other devices may vary. For help, contact your device manufacturer or visit Android support.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app.
- Tap ‘About tablet’.
- Select ‘Software information.
- Look for the number under ‘Android Version’.
Automatic App Updates
If you want to be in control of when the ShopKeep app is updated, turn off Automatic Updates. Disabling this optional setting prevents the Android tablet from automatically downloading app updates and helps minimize disruptions to your business day.
- Open the Play Store.
- Tap the menu button.
- Select ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Auto-update apps’.
- Select ‘Don’t auto-update apps’, then tap ‘Done’.