Running Sales at the Register
From ringing up items, applying discounts, and tagging customers to accepting payment, learn what you need to know about running sales at the register.
Watch our Run a Sale & Return video below.
Table of Contents
Ring Up Items
Every sale starts by ringing up the items a customer is purchasing. After adding items to a sale, a cashier can change item quantities, remove items, or discard the entire order.
Add Items to a Sale
There are three ways to add items to a sale:
- Tap an item shortcut.
To hide or show the shortcuts panel, tap the icon in the bottom left.
- Tap the magnifying glass to search for an item by name, SKU, or UPC.
- Scan the barcode on an item.
There are two different ways to change the quantity of an item on a sale:
- Tap '+' or '–' to increase or decrease the item quantity.
- Tap the quantity, enter a new number, and tap 'Done'.
Cashiers can either remove individual sale items or discard the entire sale.
Track the quantity and value of items deleted at the register and items from discarded sales with X and Z Reports.
- Swipe left across a line item and tap 'Delete' to remove it.
- Tap the trash can icon to get rid of all items on the sale.
Tag a Customer
To track customer purchases and contact details, tag a customer to the sale. Customers added at the register sync directly to the Customer List in BackOffice.
Visit the Manage Customers article to learn how to edit customers at the register and in BackOffice.
- Tap 'Select Customer' (iOS) or the customer icon (Android) to tag a customer to the sale.
Tag a customer before tendering the sale. A customer cannot be tagged during checkout after the sale has been tendered.
- Select an existing customer from the list or tap '+' to add a new customer.
- Search for existing customers by name, phone number, email address, or customer notes.
- When adding a new customer, a warning will prevent you from adding duplicate email addresses. After saving a new customer, they will automatically be tagged to the current sale. Learn how to change the customer tagged to a sale here.
Visit the Sales by Customer Report in BackOffice to see top customers by sales count and amount spent.
Apply a Discount
Discounts allow the cashier to remove a dollar amount or percentage from a line item or the entire sale.
Visit the Discounts article to learn how to set up custom preset discounts.
- Tap the discount button on a line item to discount that item.
- Tap 'Discount' to discount the entire sale.
By default, sale-level discounts include non-discountable items. Visit our troubleshooting guide to learn how to change discount settings.
Visit the Sales by Discount Report to see top discounts by sales count and amount discounted.
Remove the Tax
If a customer is tax exempt, the cashier may need to remove sales tax from the sale.
- Tap the 'Tax' check button to toggle the tax off or on.
Save the Sale
After ringing up items, save the sale to create a check or tab that will remain open until the customer is done ordering, allowing the cashier to modify the sale or process payment at a later time.
- Tap the disk icon.
- Enter a name for the sale or swipe a credit card through an iDynamo to use the cardholder’s name (optional), then tap 'Save'.
Visit the Saved Sales article to learn how to modify and close saved sales at the register.
Payment & Receipt
When a customer is ready to pay, select their payment tender, and print a receipt or send one via email or text message (SMS) to finish the sale.
- Select a tender to accept payment for the sale.
Cash – Tell the customer the total due and give change.
Credit – Swipe or insert a credit card or tap an Apple Pay device.
*Visit the Accepting Credit Cards article or the setup article for your specific card reader for a full walkthrough of a credit sale.
Other | Used for any alternate tender not built in.
Mobile Payment / Gift Card / etc. | Optional tenders enabled in Tender Settings.
Split Tender | Accept up to 9 different payments for one sale.
Pay by Link | Used to send customers a link they can visit to pay for a sale from their own device. This tender is only available to merchants who signed up for online and mobile payments and use the iOS ShopKeep Register app with Saved Sales Sync enabled. To learn how to use this tender, visit our Pay by Link article.
- Select a receipt option and tap ‘Done’ or tap 'No Receipt'.
Visit our Receipt Setup article to learn how to customize the business information, logo, and messaging that appear on receipts.
Email Receipt | Send the sales receipt to an email address.
*For swiped and EMV credit card transactions, the email address entered will be linked to the customer’s credit card and they will automatically receive email receipts when using that card at any ShopKeep merchant. Learn more about automatic receipts here.
Text Receipt | Send a link to the sales receipt via text message (SMS) to a mobile phone number.
*Text message receipts contain the same information as paper receipts and are available in the latest compatible versions of the iOS and Android ShopKeep Register apps. Learn more about paper receipts here.
**For swiped and EMV credit card transactions, the phone number entered will be linked to the customer’s credit card and they will automatically receive text message receipts when using that card at any ShopKeep merchant. Learn more here.
Print Receipt | Print the sales receipt to a connected receipt printer.
Print Gift Receipt | Print the sales receipt without prices to a connected receipt printer.