Split Tender Transactions
Split Tender allows customers to divide payment for a sale up to 9 ways using any combination of cash, credit, and other tenders. Use this feature to split a sale between multiple credit cards, to redeem a gift card and pay the balance in another tender, or any other time two or more payments are needed. Void a payment if a mistake is made while processing it or return a split tender sale to refund a customer.
To learn how to split a saved sale into multiple sales, visit the Split, Merge, and Transfer Saved Sales article.
Table of Contents
Run a Split Tender Sale
Split tender sales begin just like any other sale. When it is time for payment, select up to 9 different ways to split the total.
- Ring up a sale.
- Tap '…' and select 'Split Tender'.
- (Optional) Tap '+' and '–' to adjust the total number of payments needed.
By default, the sale total will split evenly by the number of payments.
- (Optional) Tap a tender to change the tender used for that payment.
The ‘Pay by Link’ tender is not supported for use in split tender transactions.
- (Optional) Tap an amount to change the amount charged for that payment.
- Tap 'Charge' to process a specific payment.
- Select a payment receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.Payment receipts show only the amount tendered for specific payments. For a receipt listing all the items on the sale, print or email a transaction receipt (step 10).
- Repeat steps 4 - 7 for each remaining payment.
- Once all payments are paid, tap 'Done' to finish the sale.
- Select a transaction receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.Transaction receipts show all items and payments on the sale.
Void a Split Tender Payment
If you charge or refund the wrong amount or tender for a payment in a split tender transaction, void the payment to cancel it. To cancel a split tender transaction in progress or modify its items, void all payments.
- Swipe left across a payment and tap 'Void' to undo the charge.
Credit payments on return transactions cannot be voided as they are final once processed.
- (Optional) To cancel the transaction, void all remaining payments and tap ‘Cancel’.
Return a Split Tender Sale
If a customer needs to return their split tender purchase, follow the steps below to process a refund.
- Begin a return for a split tender sale from a current or previous register shift.
- Tap 'Split Tender'.
Or tap ‘…’ and select a tender such as ‘Cash’ to refund the entire balance to that tender.
- (Optional) Tap '+' and '–' to change the number of return payments.
- Confirm the return tenders and amounts.
- (Optional) Tap a tender or amount to change it.
For credit payments, the return amount cannot exceed the total originally charged to that card.
- Tap 'Return' to refund a specific payment.
- For credit payments, review the warning and tap ‘Cancel’ or ‘OK’ to proceed.
Credit return payments are final and cannot be voided after tapping ‘OK’.
- Select a payment receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.
Payment receipts show only the amount refunded for specific payments. For a receipt listing the items on the return, print or email a transaction receipt (step 11).
- Repeat steps 5 - 8 for each remaining payment.
- Once all payments are returned, tap 'Done' to finish the return.
- Select a transaction receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.
Transaction receipts show all items and payments on the return.
Use the Transactions report in BackOffice to view details of individual split tender transactions and download payment and transaction receipts.
- In BackOffice, click 'Reports', then ‘Transactions’.
- Click a split tender transaction to view additional details.
- (Optional) Click 'Download Receipt' to download a receipt for a specific payment or 'Download Transaction Receipt' to download a receipt for the entire transaction.