Tenders are the payment methods customers use such as cash, credit, deposit, and gift card. Manage tender settings to accept a variety of payment types at the register in addition to the default options.
Table of Contents
Standard, Additional, and Redeemable tenders categorize all accepted payment methods and liability tenders accepted at the register. Learn below about the tenders included in each group.
These tenders are used for reporting purposes only and may not represent integrations with Lightspeed Retail. Payment must be processed separately outside of the register for external tenders, eCommerce, and Mobile Payment.
Standard tenders are the most commonly used payment methods.
Lightspeed eCom (E) orders paid online and processed at the register and supported orders marked ‘Paid’ in the eCommerce Dashboard will appear in reporting as being tendered to ‘eCommerce’ (if enabled) or ‘Other’ (if ‘eCommerce’ is not enabled). When invoice reporting is enabled, paid invoices will appear in reporting as being paid with ‘Other’.
Additional tenders are payment methods, such as checks or mobile payments, that are not standard or redeemable tenders.
Lightspeed eCom (E) orders paid online and processed at the register and supported orders marked ‘Paid’ in the eCommerce Dashboard will appear in reporting as being tendered to ‘eCommerce’ (if enabled) or ‘Other’ (if ‘eCommerce’ is not enabled)’.
External tenders available: Amex, Credit, Debit, EBT, and V/MC/Dsc
Redeemable tenders are for liabilities like deposits, gift cards, or gift certificates and must be set up with a liability item used for issuing the liability to customers.
Gift certificates do not integrate with Lightspeed Retail and individual balances must be tracked manually.
Set Active Tenders
In BackOffice, select standard, additional and redeemable tenders to enable them for use at the register.
- In BackOffice, click 'Settings' and select 'Tenders'.
- Tap the checkbox next to a tender to enable or disable it.
- Get updates on the iOS or Android register to sync the changes to the register.
If you receive an error while getting updates, visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
Use Tenders at the Register
Select a tender to complete a sale at the register and properly record the payment method in sales reporting.
- Ring up a sale.
Visit our Running Sales at the Register article for more information.
- Tap '...' and select a tender, or tap a default tender.
To split payment between multiple tenders, tap ‘…’ and select ‘Split Tender‘.
- If enabled, ‘Cash’ and ‘Credit’ take priority as default tenders on the sale screen.
- After selecting ‘Split Tender’, ‘Gift Card’, or ‘Pay by Link’, additional steps are required to complete the sale. For help finishing one of these transactions, visit the article for that specific feature.
- Don’t see a tender on the register? Visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
When performing a return, if the original tender used to complete the sale has been disabled, that tender will not be available to return to.
- Select a receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.
- (Optional) Process payment for the sale through an external terminal or app.
This is required for: eCommerce, External Amex, External Credit, External Debit, External EBT, External V/MC/Dsc, and Mobile Payment.
Track the total revenue coming in from each tender using the Dashboard in BackOffice.
- In BackOffice, click 'Reports' and select 'Dashboard'.
- Select a date range.
- Click 'Summary View'.
- View the report in a new tab.
The Summary View shows the total amount received from each tender.
To view the tenders used for individual transactions, use the Transactions Table. Visit the Transactions Table support article to learn more.