Unit Priced Items
Unit pricing is used for bulk goods, items sold by weight, and other items with prices that vary based on how much a customer purchases. Learn how to use unit priced items with Lightspeed Retail, create a unit priced item, and sell that item at the register.
Watch our Unit Priced Items video below:
Table of Contents
What are Unit Priced Items?
To understand how to use unit priced items with Lightspeed Retail, let’s define what they are and look at some different examples.
Create Unit Priced Items
Create a unit priced item in BackOffice or at the register so you can sell it to customers.
- From the Item List in BackOffice or at the register, click ‘Add New’.
- Select 'Create' under 'Basic Item'.
Only basic items can have unit pricing. Items with variants cannot be unit priced.
- Click ‘More fields…’
- Fill in the item's details and set 'Price Type' to 'Unit Price'.
- Enter a 2 letter abbreviation for the unit used to measure the item.
For example: oz, lb, kg, etc.
- Enter the sale price per unit sold.
The price will automatically round to the nearest hundredth decimal place (e.g. 4.039 will be adjusted to 4.04 when the item is saved).
- Select a save option to finish creating the item.
- (Optional) Add the item to the item shortcuts panel.
- If creating the item from BackOffice, get updates on the iOS or Android register to sync the new item to the register.
For a more detailed walkthrough of creating a basic item, visit our Add Basic Items article.
Sell Unit Priced Items
Once created, unit priced items can be sold at the register by manually entering the number of units to be sold or by weighing the item on an integrated scale (Android only).
Learn how to use the integrated Star Micronics mG-S8200 Scale to weigh items on the Retail POS (S-Series) app for Android here.
- Add a unit priced item to a sale.
- Enter the quantity being purchased and tap 'Done'.
- Complete the sale as usual.
Visit our Running Sales at the Register article if you need help finishing the sale.