Item List Bulk Edit
Use Item List Bulk Edit to make changes to multiple inventory items at the same time from the Item List. Update the names, prices, UPC codes, and other properties of items for a single location without accessing each item individually or working with spreadsheets.
Table of Contents
When To Use Bulk Edit
Knowing when to use Item List Bulk Edit can save you a lot of time when it comes to updating existing inventory items. Before getting started, learn when, and when not, to use this feature.
Use Bulk Edit:
- When you need to quickly update multiple existing items.
Bulk Edit saves time by allowing you to update items directly from the Item List without navigating through several screens.
- If a specific group of items needs to be updated.
The search, filter, and sort features allow you to display only the items you need to edit on the Item List. For example, you can view all items priced under $5 in a specific department, then update all of their tax rates at the same time.
Don’t use Bulk Edit:
- When you need to add new items or delete existing items.
- If you need to create, update, or delete raw goods or modifiers
- If you need to create new departments, categories, suppliers, or taxes.
Bulk Edit allows you to select an existing value for these properties. Add new departments, categories, or suppliers from within an individual item or Bulk Management. Learn how to set up new taxes here.
- If you need to update item quantities on hand.
- If you prefer using spreadsheets to update existing items.
To learn how to update items in bulk using spreadsheets, visit our Bulk Management article.
Search & Filter the Item List
Before using Item List Bulk Edit, follow these optional steps to search, filter, and sort the Item List to narrow down the items displayed from all items in inventory to only those you need to edit.
- Visit the Item List from BackOffice on a computer or tablet or from the Retail POS (S-Series) app (employees with BackOffice permissions only).
Bulk Edit is not available on mobile phone devices.
- In BackOffice, click ‘Items’ and select ‘Item List’.
Retail POS (S-Series) app for iOSRetail POS (S-Series) app for Android
- In the Retail POS (S-Series) app for iOS, tap ‘Manage Items’ on the Main Menu. In the Retail POS (S-Series) app for Android, tap ‘Setup’ on the register menu, then select ‘Manage Items’.
- Search, filter, and sort the Item List to display only the items to be updated using Bulk Edit.
For detailed help using the search, filter, and sorting features of the Item List, visit our Organize Inventory article.
Don’t see the SKU, UPC, or supplier item ID columns? Enable them by following step 2 in the section below.
- To search the Item List, enter the name, SKU, UPC, or supplier item ID of an item under the relevant column header.
Available filters include ‘Item’, ‘Cost’, ‘Price’, ‘Margin’, ‘Markup’, ‘Quantity’, ‘Supplier’, ‘Department’, ‘Category’, ’Created At’, Discountable’, ‘Taxable’, ‘Supplier Item ID’, ‘SKU’, ‘UPC’, ‘Reorder Trigger’, ‘Recommended Order’, ‘Price Type’, ‘Unit’, ‘Register Status’, and ‘Track Quantity on Hand’.
- To filter the Item List, click ‘Filter’, select a column to apply a filter to, then configure the filter.
- To sort the Item List, click any column with arrows.
- Follow the steps in the section below to edit the items shown on screen.
Bulk Edit Items
Use the Bulk Edit feature on the Item List to quickly update item properties, such as name, price, and UPC code, for multiple items at the same time.
- Follow step 1 in the section above to access the Item List from a computer, tablet, or Lightspeed Retail POS.
Bulk Edit is not available on mobile phone devices.
- (Optional) Enable additional columns on the Item List for item properties you want to edit.
Columns visible on the Item List can be edited without completing this step as they are already enabled.Click ‘Filter’, then open the ‘Show/Hide Columns’ tab.Check or uncheck boxes to show or hide columns on the Item List.
- Click 'Bulk action’, then select ‘Bulk edit’.
- (Optional) If editing an item with variants, click the arrow next to the item name to view active variants for the item.
To view variants for all items on the list, click ‘Expand all’.
- Click a cell and enter or select an updated value for an item or variant.
To view additional items, navigate between pages of the Item List or select a larger ‘Page size’.
- ‘Cost’ can only be edited if Weighted Average Cost is disabled.
- New departments, categories, suppliers, and taxes cannot be created using Bulk Edit. For these properties, you must select an existing value. Changing the department, category, or supplier assigned to an item will also update this information in some historical reporting. To learn more, visit the article for a specific report from our BackOffice support page.
- ‘Quantity’ cannot be modified using Bulk Edit. To update item quantities, use Update Inventory or Bulk Management in BackOffice.
- (Optional) Repeat steps 4 - 5 to update additional item properties.
- Click 'Save' to save changes or 'Discard changes' to reset all unsaved changes.
Unsaved changes are highlighted in blue until saved or discarded.
- Click 'Items List' to exit Bulk Edit mode.
Having issues with the Item List? Visit our troubleshooting guide for help.