Cash Drawer Troubleshooting
This page contains solutions to issues you may encounter while using a cash drawer with ShopKeep. From connection problems to losing the keys, follow along below for help.
Most cash drawer issues are related to problems with the receipt printer. Before continuing, please make sure your printer is working properly.
Table of Contents
“Cash Drawer Failure”
This error message is usually related to a connection issue between the drawer and receipt printer or register.
- Verify that the drawer is connected to the cash drawer port on the receipt printer or register.
- Disconnect the cash drawer cable from both the drawer and printer or register, then reconnect it.
The larger end of the cable plugs into the bottom of the drawer, and the smaller end plugs into the printer or register device.
- Force quit (iOS) or force stop (Android) the ShopKeep Register app, then reopen it.
- If the problem persists, troubleshoot the receipt printer connected to the drawer.
Take a look at the lights on the printer. If anything looks unusual, visit a printer troubleshooting guide for help resolving the issue.
My drawer does not open when I perform a sale or tap ‘Open the Cash Drawer’.
This issue can happen for a variety of reasons. After each step below, check to see if the problem is resolved.
- Follow steps 1a - 1b below to make sure the receipt printer connected to the cash drawer is enabled in the ShopKeep Register app.
Using a Sunmi T2 Lite register device? Skip this step as the cash drawer will be connected directly to the register.In ShopKeep, tap ‘Integrated Hardware’ (iOS) or ‘Setup’ (Android) on the Main Menu (iOS) or register menu (Android).iOS ShopKeep Register AppAndroid ShopKeep Register AppTap ‘Printers’ (iOS) or ‘Receipt printers’ (Android).iOS ShopKeep Register AppAndroid ShopKeep Register AppMake sure the printer is toggled on.Don’t see your printer on this screen? Visit one of our printer troubleshooting guides for help.
- If performing a sale, make sure you tendered it to 'Cash'.
The drawer opens for cash sales but not for other tenders, such as credit.
- Check that the drawer's lock is in the vertical position (unlocked).
- Follow the steps above to check the physical connection between the receipt printer or register and the cash drawer.
- If using the Clover All-in-One Credit Card Reader and Printer, confirm you are using the correct cable.
- Make sure the four rubber feet are attached to the bottom of the drawer.
- Place the drawer near the edge of the counter.
- If you can open the drawer manually, remove the inner drawer and clear any obstructions blocking its path, then reinstall the drawer.
My cash drawer randomly stops working.
If the cash drawer sometimes stops working and you are using an ethernet receipt printer, there may be an issue with the register’s network settings. If the register randomly switches to a different Wi-Fi network, it cannot communicate with the ethernet receipt printer the cash drawer is connected to.
- In the Settings app, connect the register to the Wi-Fi network for the router the printer is plugged into.
For help connecting to Wi-Fi networks, visit one of the following articles:
- Forget all other Wi-Fi networks.
For help forgetting Wi-Fi networks, visit one of the following articles:
- If using an iPad, enable the 'Ask to Join Networks' setting.
- Test the cash drawer to see if it opens.
- If the drawer does not open, follow these steps above to troubleshoot.
I lost the keys to my cash drawer.
Don’t worry, visit our online store to learn how to order replacements. You’ll need to know whether you have a Standard or Heavy Duty drawer and you’ll need to provide the 2 or 3 digit code from the lock on the drawer.