DYMO LabelWriter Setup
The DYMO LabelWriter 450 and 550 label printers make it easy to print barcode labels for your items so they can be scanned at the register. Connect the printer to a computer and load a roll of blank labels to set it up.
The DYMO printer must be connected to a desktop or laptop computer running Windows or macOS, it cannot be connected to an iPad. After setup, additional steps are required to install the DYMO drivers.
Watch our setup video below:
Table of Contents
In the Box
The DYMO LabelWriter 450 and 550 label printers ship with the parts listed below.
Connect the Printer
Complete the basic steps of connecting the printer to a computer and to power. After connecting the printer, labels can be loaded into the device.
If you already set up the printer but are having trouble, visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
- Place the printer near a desktop or laptop computer running Windows or macOS.
iPads and Android tablets cannot connect to the DYMO printer.
- Connect the included USB cable to the back of the printer, then plug the other end into the computer.
- Plug the power cable into the power adapter.
- Connect the power adapter to the printer, then plug the other end into a power outlet.
The LabelWriter 450 will turn on automatically after connecting it to power, but the LabelWriter 550 must be manually powered on (see step 5).
- If using the DYMO LabelWriter 550 model, press the power button to turn it on.
- Follow the steps below to load labels into the printer.
Load DYMO Labels
Load a roll of labels into the printer so you can print with the DYMO LabelWriter printer.
The printer comes with address labels which are not compatible with Lightspeed Label Printing. Only official DYMO labels will work with the LabelWriter 550 model. Order compatible DYMO-branded labels here.
- Lift open the top of the printer and remove the spool.
- Pull the spool apart to separate it into two pieces.
- Load labels onto the spool, then push the two halves of the spool back together.
Do not leave any space between the labels and the sides of the spool.
- Load the spool into the printer's lid, as far left as possible.
- Align the labels with the left side of the printer and insert them into the slot.
Labels must feed from the bottom of the roll as shown below.
The LabelWriter 450 will automatically feed the labels through the printer once inserted, but the LabelWriter 550 must be manually fed (see step 6).
- If using the LabelWriter 550, press the feed forward button to advance the labels through the printer.
- Move the label guide against the labels.
- Close the lid and wait for the printer's light to turn solid blue.
If the light remains blinking, visit our troubleshooting guide for help.
- Install the DYMO drivers by following the steps here.
- To learn how to print labels from the BackOffice or from the DYMO software, visit our Lightspeed Label Printing article.