Free Accounts with ShopKeep
Free ShopKeep accounts come with many benefits including a powerful register system, detailed reporting, and unlimited inventory items. Start setting up today to begin running sales and, if you need more functionality, upgrade your account.
Table of Contents
What is a Free ShopKeep Account?
A free ShopKeep account allows you to use ShopKeep in a single location, with a single register, and a single staff member. It includes unlimited inventory, detailed reporting for up to $5,000 in sales each month, and limited access to ShopKeep Pocket. If you are interested in adding additional registers, locations, or staff members, are running more than $5,000 per month in sales, or need access to live support or additional features, upgrade your account from BackOffice or the ShopKeep Register app.
Get started setting up a free ShopKeep account by adding inventory items and customizing receipts in the ShopKeep Register app.
Begin by entering the inventory items that will be sold at the register. As you add items, you can customize the details of each one, including the price, cost, tax, and quantity on hand.
- At the register, tap ‘Manage Items’ from the Main Menu.
- Tap ‘Add New’.
- Select whether to create a Basic Item or an Item with Variants.
Basic items are sold individually or with modifiers. Items with variants are items sold in variations (e.g. a single shirt with multiple sizes).
- After adding items, create shortcuts to easily access items at the register.
Paper, text message (SMS), and email receipts can be customized with your business location and contact information. Follow the steps below to set them up.
- At the register, tap ‘Receipt and Tip Settings’ from the Main Menu.
- Fill in as much business information as desired to appear on receipts, then tap ‘Save’.
- Tap the 'Paper Receipt' tab, adjust receipt settings as desired, and tap ‘Save’.
- Tap the 'Email Receipt' tab to customize email receipts with information such as promotional messaging and social media links.
- Tap the ‘Tips and Signature’ tab to adjust tip and gratuity settings.
Set Up Hardware
The type of business you run determines the hardware you need. Visit the ShopKeep store to find hardware solutions that fit your business needs.
Set up the ShopKeep Register app on your iPad or Android device to get started running sales! Learn the basics below.
Download and Activate
Visit our Introduction to the iPad article or our Introduction to Android article to learn how to download and install the ShopKeep Register app. Activate the ShopKeep app to link your account with the register.
- Open the ShopKeep app and tap 'Activate Your Register'.
- Enter your store name and manager code, then tap 'Activate'.
Store Name | Account name with no spaces or punctuation.
Manager Code | Can be found in the Staff List or in your welcome email.
- (Optional) If prompted, enable push notifications.
Notifications alert you with updates on matters affecting your ShopKeep account, such as when there is a service disruption. Notifications can be disabled at any time from the Settings app on the iPad.
This feature is only available on the ShopKeep Register for iOS. If not prompted during activation, you may be asked later to enable notifications from the sign in screen after a register shift is closed. Stay tuned as we roll out this feature to everyone.Tap ‘Yes’.Tap ‘Allow’.
Open and Close Register Shifts
Open and close register shifts to maintain accurate reporting and to balance the cash drawer each day.
Open a Register Shift
To start your day, open a register shift to add your starting cash to the drawer.
- On the Main Menu, tap 'Open Register Shift'.
- Enter the opening cash amount and tap 'Open Shift'.
This is the amount of cash in the drawer before making any sales.
Close a Register Shift
When your business closes each day, close the register shift in ShopKeep to end your day. After closing, you can view totals for the shift on the Z report.
- Open the Main Menu and tap 'Close Register Shift'.
- Enter the total cash in the drawer and tap 'Close Shift'.
Run Sales and Process Returns
Run a Sale
Without any frills, here’s how to run a basic sale at the register.
- Add an item to the sale.
- Tap an item shortcut.
- Tap the magnifying glass to search for an item by name, SKU, or UPC.
- Scan the barcode on an item.
- Select a payment tender.
Here we are using ‘Cash’.
- Enter the amount from the customer, and tap 'Calculate Change'.
Tender buttons below ‘Calculate Change’ update based on the sale total if it is over $20. For example, a sale for 28.23 would have the buttons 29.00, 30.00, and 40.00.
- Give change if necessary, then select a receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.
Process a Return
Take back sold items from customers at the register by running a return.
- Tap 'Sales History' on the Main Menu.
- Tap the 3 dot menu on a sale, then 'Begin Return'.
To learn how to search for a specific sale, visit our Performing Returns article.
- Select the item(s) to return.
Highlighted items will be returned. Tap ‘Select all’ to return all items.
- Choose a tender to return to the customer.
The original sale tender is highlighted in red. Sales can only be returned to Credit if originally paid by credit. Credit card returns automatically refund to the card used in the original sale.
- Select a receipt option and tap ‘Done’, or tap 'No Receipt'.
In addition to the Dashboard that you see when logging into BackOffice, here’s a look at the other reports available to you.
If you have questions about reporting, check out the Reporting FAQ.
The Transactions Report shows every sale and return from a specified date range and every sale currently saved on the Saved Sales screen of registers with Saved Sales Sync enabled. Filter and sort the table, download customer receipts, and export closed transactions to a spreadsheet for further analysis.
The Sales Summary email recaps the previous day of sales activity and is automatically sent to the Business Owner each morning.
Inventory Value Report
The Inventory Value Report shows the total overall inventory value and the value, quantity on hand, and cost of specific items for any date. Read the report in BackOffice or print it for a physical copy.
The Marketing Dashboard displays top customers by number of visits and total purchases, Customer List growth metrics, and the number of times customers click social media links in email receipts. All this to help you identify and target high-value customers.
Stock Item Export
The Stock Items Export allows you to download current inventory as a spreadsheet complete with the names, prices, and other attributes of items.
Customer List Export
Much like the Stock Item Export, the Customer List Export enables you to download the Customer List in spreadsheet format with each customer’s name and contact information.
How to Upgrade
If you reach a feature that requires a paid subscription, follow the steps below to upgrade from within BackOffice. With a paid subscription, you can view all BackOffice reporting, process credit card transactions, add more registers, employees, and locations to your account, and access additional features.
Upgrading can also be done at the register by purchasing an in-app subscription. Visit our In-App Subscriptions article to learn more.
- Click 'Upgrade' on the pop-up that appears for paid features or in the upper-right corner of BackOffice.
- Follow the prompts to select a plan and enter billing information.
Your account upgrade is complete! Click below to learn about features available for upgraded accounts: